Autism & Family
What we know about Autism
The statistics are alarming
Impact on Family
- 1 in 150 children diagnosed Autistic in the United States
- A complex developmental disability that typically appears during the first three
years of life.
- A brain based disorder that significantly impairs
the assimilation of information, causing problems in social behavior, communication and learning.
- Extreme sensitivities in the five senses sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste
- Currently no known cure
- 80% divorce rate among parents of Autistic children*
- Annual indirect costs for Autistic individuals and their parents range from more than 39,000 to nearly 130,000*
- Siblings are under tremendous pressure to help care for their brother or sister on the Autism spectrum*
*Source: Harvard School of Public Health Study,
April 26, 2006